Shillong, Aug 20: Meghalaya’s entire tourism industry has united in anger.
One day after violence rocked Shillong, six top tourism bodies issued a joint condemnation and warned that Tuesday’s attacks could cripple livelihoods across the state.
In a joint press statement issued Thursday, the Tour Operators Association of Meghalaya, Meghalaya Rural Tourism Forum, Tour Guides Association, Federation of Shillong Hotels, Meghalaya Tourism Development Forum, and Meghalaya Rural Tourism Cooperative Federation said they “express our deep concern and strongly condemn the violent incidents of 19 August 2026.”
During the rally, vehicles from outside the state — including tourist taxis, buses, other vehicles, pedestrians and bystanders — were attacked and vandalised, they said.
“We fully respect the democratic right of individuals and organisations to express their grievances. However, protests must remain peaceful and must not be exploited by anti-social elements to create fear, violence or damage to public property,” the statement read.
“Reputation Under Attack”
The bodies warned Meghalaya’s image as a “safe, welcoming and responsible tourism destination” is now at risk.
“The unfortunate incidents of yesterday have the potential to seriously damage this reputation and have far-reaching consequences for the tourism sector in the coming months. We are already witnessing cancellations and concerns among visitors, including retaliatory developments from Assam, affecting tourism stakeholders as well as ordinary citizens dependent on inter-state travel.”
Security Questions Raised
The stakeholders also questioned the police arrangements.
“Since due permission had been granted by the Government, it was expected that adequate police and district administration arrangements would be in place to maintain law and order. The visible acts of vandalism raise legitimate concerns about the effectiveness of these arrangements.”
30% Livelihoods At Stake
Tourism supports more than 30% of Meghalaya’s population, directly and indirectly, the statement said. From homestays and local guides to drivers, artisans, restaurants and small businesses, “thousands of families depend on a peaceful and stable tourism environment.”
The Demand
The groups urged the Government to “identify those responsible for the violence and vandalism and take appropriate action in accordance with the law, while protecting the rights of peaceful protesters.”
They also appealed for restraint. “We appeal to all organisations, communities and citizens to exercise restraint and avoid any form of retaliation. Differences with the Government can and should be addressed through dialogue, democratic engagement and peaceful means.”
“We must not allow one day’s violence to undo years of work in building Meghalaya’s tourism reputation,” the statement concluded, urging everyone to “choose peace over confrontation, dialogue over division, and responsibility over retaliation.”
The Tourism Department has already activated its toll-free helpline 1800-599-2026 for tourists seeking assistance.
Issued jointly by: TOAM | MRTF | TGAM | FOSH | MTDF | MRTCFL


































