Shillong, Aug 20: The East Khasi Hills administration has moved to recover losses and clamp down after Wednesday’s violent bike rally, announcing it will invoke the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act and revoking the Khasi Students’ Union’s permission for a fresh protest.
Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal said Thursday that the KSU rally violated its approval terms and has been declared an unlawful assembly.
“The rally conditions have been violated… the permission stands revoked. So it becomes an unlawful assembly,” Baranwal said. Police have registered an FIR and launched an investigation.
Three top KSU leaders — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar — have been arrested.
Officials said the violence left 16 people assaulted. Two statues of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda were vandalised. Two vehicles, including one government vehicle and one from outside the state, were set ablaze, and several private vehicles were damaged.
Under the MMPO Act, the district will now seek financial compensation from individuals and organisations found responsible for damage during processions or rallies.
The administration has also withdrawn permission for KSU’s proposed protest on Friday, citing the fallout from Wednesday’s events.
“We had been assured the rally would remain peaceful,” Baranwal said. “Given the arson, vandalism and assaults reported, we had to withdraw permission for the next protest.”
An FIR was also filed over an alleged petrol bomb attack on police during a raid at the KSU office in Jaiaw on Wednesday night. Baranwal said the raid followed the arrests, and officers were targeted as they approached the office. Police responded with a stun grenade and tear gas to disperse a crowd allegedly moving to attack personnel.
Medical aid has been provided to the injured at Civil Hospital, and the administration said helpline numbers will be issued for stranded tourists.
On a possible curfew, Baranwal said it remains a “last resort.” He added that officials are in touch with Assam authorities after reports that Meghalaya-bound vehicles were stopped near Jorabat.





































