Guwahati ( Assam), Feb 22 : Paresh Baruah led ULFA(I) and Myanmar based NSCN has put on hold the killing of two employees of a private oil company who were abducted from a drilling site in the Innao area of Changlang district in Arunachal Pradesh.
The two outfits had earlier threatened to take action against the two employees of the private oil drilling company but in a statement has announced that action on the two abductees is postponed.
ULFA (I) had set February 16 for the private sector oil company to secure the release of its employees by paying a ransom of Rs 20 crores.
On Dec 21 2020 , the two employees were abducted by the ULFA (I) . The two abducted employees of Quippo are Pranab Kumar Gogoi from Sivasagar in Assam and Ram Kumar Kumar from Khagaria district of Bihar.
CNC of ULFA (I), Paresh Baruah, while talking over the phone to a senior journalist from his hideout said that Final ultimatum does not mean a death sentence. We are discussing and have taken in good faith appeal from civil society and other organizations of the state. We have deferred any action for now.”
ULFA-(I) Commander in Chief Paresh Baruah, while talking to Bikas Singh of Economic Times over phone said that it has halted its plans of granting “Saram Hasti” to the two abducted OIL employees.
The ULFA-(I) chief further told that it would take a decision on the fate of the two OIL employees after discussions with the NSCN. He also said that he respects his critics and the civil society of Assam.
Earlier on Friday, ULFA-(I) through a statement, said that the kidnapped employees will be given “Saram Hasti” on Feb 22 as the last deadline given by the militant group had expired.
In a statement to media houses, ULFA (I) had said that it had decided to take action against the two kidnapped employees of the Quippo Oil and Gas Infrastructure Limited the next week. The militant outfit had set February 16 for the private sector oil company to secure the release of its employees by paying a ransom of Rs 20 crores.
“For this OIL and the government are to be blamed. As the Quippo representatives, after our negotiations between February 16 to 19, failed to provide any fruitful solution to our demands, we have decided to stick to our initial decision and will, accordingly, take the final actions against the two employees,” read a statement in Assamese with ULFA-I letterhead addressed to the people of Assam, governments of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh and the family members of the abducted duo.
Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had earlier asked Baruah to refrain from any action which will shame the 3 crore people of Assam in the world’s eyes.
Lok Sabha MP and Congress leader Gaurav Gogoi said that he has written a letter to Union home minister Amit Shah that abduction by militant outfits is widely criticized by the people of Assam. “Given the sensitive nature of the matter and the potential threat to the life of two abductees, I urge you take the matter into consideration for appropriate action,” read his letter.