Shillong (Meghalaya), Sept 5: Every year, 5th Sept is celebrated as Teachers’ Day as a tribute to the contribution made by teachers to the society. The day also commemorates the Birth Anniversary of Dr S. Radhakrishnan, the former President of India and above all, a teacher.
Meghalaya also joined hands with the rest of the country to celebrate the 62nd Teacher’s Day today, the 5th of September 2023 with great fervor and exuberance at U Soso Tham Auditorium, here in the presence of the education minister, Rakkam A. Sangma as the chief guest.
Addressing the function Sangma said that Education is one of the pillars which contribute towards building a great nation. Teachers play a crucial and vital role in realizing these goals by nurturing our young minds to be a better person in a society, to perform both academically and intellectually and reach a pinnacle of success.
Acknowledging that teachers face numerous other challenges such as pay disparity and untimely disbursement of salary, the Minister reiterated the government’s commitment and continuous efforts in addressing these issues. He also stressed on the need for teachers to come up with various innovative methods for holistic development of the students.
The Minister also congratulated Madhav Singh, Senior Science Teacher of Alpha English Higher Secondary School, Nongpoh for being conferred the National Teacher Award 2023. On the occasion the minister also inaugurated various Special projects under SSA; the website of the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan, Adopt a School Campaign and PM e-Vidya Meghalaya.
Meghalaya Government honoured teachers from across the state on Teachers’ Day in recognition of their contributions in shaping the lives of the young minds.
1. Smti V. Dipali Sharma Rao, Principal, Laban Assamese Girls’ Higher Secondary School
2. Smti Belinda Kharsati, Head Teacher, Pomlahier L.P School
3. Sisingh Ryntong, Asst. Teacher, New Nongstoin ‘B’ Govt. L.P School
4. Apborsing L. Mawlong, Asst. Teacher, Tirot Sing Memorial Govt. U.P School, Nongkhlaw
5. Kwirin Diengdoh, Headmaster, Mawsaw Govt. U.P School, Mawkyrwat
6. Smti Ewanmidaka Mukhim, Asst. Teacher, Govt. Girls’ Higher Secondary School, Jowai
7. Ribait Oo Pde, Asst. Teacher, Tep Kyndait Govt. U.P School, Tuber Kmaishnong
8. Golak Chandra Medhi, Asst. Lecturer, Jirang Govt. Higher Secondary School, New Jirang
9. Babansing Ch. Sangma, Head Teacher, Rongreng Baiza Govt. L.P School
10. Wilton Marak, Headmaster, Daram Govt. U.P School
11. Frederick R. Sangma, Headmaster, Dobasipara U.P School
12. Manoj Kumar Prasad, Asst. Teacher, Montfort Centre for Education(Sec)
13. Smti Mirabella G. Sangma, Head Teacher-Cum Secretary, Chengkompara Nokat Govt. L.P School
14.. Nozmul Arefin, Vice Principal, Baghmara Govt. Higher Secondary School
Besides the State Teachers’ Award, District Award was also conferred on 36 teachers from across the State. From East Khasi Hills, the District Award was presented to Dr. Careen E.G Marbaniang, Assistant Teacher, Mawkhar Christian HS School, Shillong for the Secondary Section Wallamkupar Lynrah, Assistant Teacher, Mawsiatkhnam Prebyterian U.P School (SSA) for the Upper Primary Section and Smti. Dafrit Nongkynrih, Assistant Teacher, Tynring Govt. L.P School, Tynring for the Lower Primary Section.
Special Award 2023 (Inclusive School) was conferred upon Smti. Berrilang Nongrum, Special Educator, Mary Rice Centre for Special Education, Laitumkhrah, Shillong, Dilip Kumar Mangar, St. Anthony’s HS School, Shillong and Smti. Miniefer Syiemlieh, KJP Girls’ HS School, Shillong received the Best Scoutmaster and Guide Captain 2023 respectively.