𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠(Meghalaya ) ,𝐉𝐮𝐧e 𝟏𝟎: The state Government clarfied that it will not impose a total lockdown in the State but would instead go for further relaxations.
Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong told media persons here today that the state government has not taken any decision to impose a total lockdown in the state.
“We have decided that lockdown in Meghalaya will continue but with further relaxations,” Tynsong said.
Tynsong said it is the responsibility of the people to strictly follow the protocols because as the government cannot simply just close down everything which will greatly hamper the livelihood of the people .
Allaying fears, Tynsong said that there has been no community spread of the coronavirus in the state.
His statement comes amid concerns as a 72-year-old man of a village in Ri-Bhoi district with no travel history tested positive for COVID-19 late on Tuesday.
Meghalaya is yet to have a single case of community transmission of the coronavirus and all the patients are quarantined.
Health Services Director Aman War said Umsamlem village, the elderly patient”s native place, has been declared a containment zone and all 43 primary contacts of the patient have tested negative.
A pregnant woman also tested positive for COVID-19 earlier in the day and has been kept in an isolated labour room, Health Minister A L Hek said.
The woman, who returned from Delhi in the last week of May along with her husband, had earlier tested negative for the disease and was in home quarantine.
All the persons who came in contact with her have been traced and will be tested for COVID-19, War said.
At present, the state there are 30 active Covid -19 cases .
Shillong has 14 active cases, followed by Jowai in West Jaintia Hills, Tura in West Garo Hills and Ampati in South West Garo Hills with five each.
Besides, Resubelpara in North Garo Hills has one active case.
So far a total of 14,453 people have returned to the state from other parts of the country in the recent past.
(With Agency inputs)