IAF put on “operational alert'', Indian troops move to sensitive border areas

August 13, 2017, 12:38 am
Tezpur,(Assam) : Amidst standoff   by the  forces from the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) at Doklam sector since last month   now  more Indian  troops are being   deployed along China border in Sikkim and  Arunachal Pradesh .Indian Air Force has been  put on “operational alert “, from today, according to highly placed IAF sources.
Though  IAF  has been put on operational alert and there has been an enhanced   deployment of troops  along the entire Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. Officials said that  it was as part of their annual exercise . 'The troops have been moved in frontier states bordering escalating  zones and it is a regular phenomenon . However the  deployment is  more this time  than  earlier ' said Defence officials .The major development come a day after talks between the two countries was  held at the Major General Level at Border Personnel Meeting( BPM)  post at  Nathu –La in Sikkim  for the first time .
Meanwhile, China  has threatened through its state  Media Global Times that India need to withdraw its troops from Doklam while India wants  China   to Clear road-building equipments from the area   . Defence experts say that so far , the war is   being fought only   through the Chinese  State Media -- Global Times.
Doklam is the tri junction near Sikkim-Bhutan-Tibet where the  army standoff of both the countires  continue since June 16 .
Sources said that  Indian Army’s Sukna –based 33 Crops , as well as 3 and 4 Crops based in Arunachal  Pradesh  and Assam , are  fully geared up  to protect the sensitive  Sino-Indian border in the eastern theatre .
The IAF airbases in North East are also an high operational alert with combat air patrols  being   conducted on  regular basis , sources said.
The soldiers, deployed over 9,000 feet, have to go through a 14-day-long acclimatization process. The officials, however, said there is no enhancement of troops at the India-China-Bhutan tri-junction in Dokalam where around 350 army personnel are holding on to their position for nearly eight weeks after stopping Chinese troops from constructing a road on June 16.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj recently  said  that If China unilaterally changes the status quo at the trijunction point, then that is a direct challenge to our security. Their demand is that we should withdraw our troops from there. "We want that, if we are having a conversation, if we want to have talks, then both should withdraw their armies. From our side, there is no unreasonable demand”, she added .
 
Photo for representational puroses only

About Author