Shillong ( Meghalaya), Oct 4 : After more than 6 months, the chiming bells of the “Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians, here resounded through the hills and valleys of Laitumkhrah and neighboring areas. In the noise pollution free environment, the bells could be heard upto Police Bazaar and beyond.
These bells have been brought by the Salvatorian Fathers from Belgium in the year 1901.
The ringing of the Church Bells was a calling to the faithful for prayers and services, which was allowed by the Government here since Oct 1.
All these months ,the faithful have been participating in the services and mass via online – YouTube, Facebook streaming and through cable network.
The desire and longingness to participate in person in the Mass and to partake of the Eucharistic feast have been fulfilled for those who have attended the masses today .
The Government guidelines, like social distancing of 5 feet . hand washing and sanitizing and thermal testing were followed to the letter and spirit.